Date: 6/15/18 2:35 pm
From: Christopher Cudworth <cudworthfix...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Virgil Gilman Trail Aurora
I consistently ride my road bike on a long section of the Virgil Gilman
Trail from Orchard Road west to Bliss Woods.

The birds heard here are some species whose breeding populations depend on
the specific habitat of this area, which includes streambanks, brushy
woodlands and fully mature woods on glacial kame. There are also several
ponds and wetlands along the way.

The consistent list of birds heard or seen in the last few rides over the
past two weeks include:

Rose breasted grosbeak
Wood thrush
Catbird
Brown thrasher
Carolina wren
Redstart
Yellow warbler
Phoebe
Great crested flycatcher
Wood pewee
Robin
Cardinal
Song sparrow
Chipping sparrow
Yellow warbler
Summer tanager
Green heron
Great blue heron
Common/great egret
Pied billed grebe
Crow
Red-winged blackbird
Bluebird
Barn swallow
Tree swallow
Red-tailed hawk
Cooper's hawk
House wren
Indigo bunting
House finch
Black-capped chickadee
White breasted nuthatch
Cowbird
Baltimore oriole
Blue jay

I plan to take a mountain bike and go more slowly with my camera as well to
record some of these species and more. Very likely prothonotary warbler and
chestnut sided in this zone. Add on the actual depth of Bliss Woods at the
west end of the trail and it is one of the richer habitats you'll find for
birding in south-central Kane County.

--
Christopher Cudworth 630.621.8520

Join us on Facebook!