Date: 6/15/18 6:10 am
From: Jeff Bilsky <jbilsky...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Skokie Lagoons - Cook County - this week
Hi all - Haven't reported on IBET much lately, but have been doing my usual
route through Skokie Lagoons, Erickson Woods area.
Presumed breeding birds of interest:
- At least 2 PROTHONOTARY WARBLER nest locations that appear active (male
and female in vicinities). No sign of offspring yet.
- At least 2 singing male AMERICAN REDSTARTS and 1 female seen. No nest
location found yet - but presumed.
- Singing ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAKS (2-3)
- There are 2 different pairs of EASTERN PHOEBES - I believe one nest
failed (a nest had seen with a cowbird in it at one point) but they are
still in the area so maybe they'll give it another shot
- pair of GREAT HORNED OWLS (have not seen young yet)
- CEDAR WAXWINGS have shown up in small numbers and some appear to be
engaged in nesting activity
- lots of the other expected stuff as well

Other interesting notes:
- It's baby deer season with at least a couple of newborns around
- Mink are active as well - have seen them running around, especially along
the water's edges
- BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERON has been seen in the same spot twice this week
- I had a MONK PARAKEET flying overhead last night (same area I had
previously photographed a pair)

My flickr stream has lots of photos from recent days:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffbilsky/albums

List from last night:

Skokie Lagoons Forest Preserve--Willow Rd., Cook, Illinois, US
Jun 14, 2018 5:51 PM - 8:09 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.22 mile(s)
39 species

Canada Goose 10
Wood Duck 2
Mallard 5
Great Blue Heron 3
Black-crowned Night-Heron 1
Caspian Tern 1
Great Horned Owl 1
Chimney Swift 2
Red-bellied Woodpecker 3
Downy Woodpecker 5
Hairy Woodpecker 2
Northern Flicker 2
Monk Parakeet 1 Heard clearly calling and flying north to south
overhead
Eastern Wood-Pewee 2
Eastern Phoebe 2
Great Crested Flycatcher 4