Date: 6/13/18 9:37 pm
From: Garth Harwood <gharwood...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Mindego Hill Trail, Russian Ridge OSP 6-13-2018
Hi All,

I walked the Mindego Hill Trail at Russian Ridge OSP this morning 6-13-2018
and found 50 species, including a singing male Audubon's race Yellow-rumped
Warbler (photographed from a distance), a Red-breasted Nuthatch, and a
Lawrence's Goldfinch among many other interesting species. The
Yellow-rumped is of special interest because breeding records are very few
indeed for our county - in fact the official breeding atlas records show
just one, which may actually have been just out of county, but within an
atlas survey block that included a snippet of SMC. So, it got included in
the results. In short, a confirmation would be pretty cool! This bird was
about 3/4 mile in where the trail skirts a small hill to the right side,
into an area of tall firs.

My bird checklist and photos are here: https://ebird.org/view/
checklist/S46528069

This may be one of the most under-birded public access spaces in the county
- nobody but me has submitted an bird report from the route since early
March, and since Nov. 2016, I've submitted 11 checklists while all others
combined have submitted just 3. This is not to blow my own horn but to give
a big shout-out to the birding community about this open space gem. The
habitats are diverse and the views sublime - yet its birdlife is still
something of a mystery. There is even a lake at the lower end of the trail
- a pair of Greater White-fronted Geese actually wintered there last winter.

Hoping you'll check it out and enjoy it as much as I have,
Garth Harwood
Pescadero

--
*Garth Harwood