Date: 6/13/18 1:35 pm
From: 'Bailey, Steven D' <sdbailey...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Some rare breeding birds at MacArthur Woods N.P. in Lake Co.
After conducting a breeding bird census on the northern half of MacArthur Woods F.P. this morning, I checked on some other birds that Sheryl & I had found there on the Spring Bird Count back in May. There is a fairly large swampy, vernal (?) or permanent pond inside the forest on the west side of the preserve near the Des Plaines River about halfway between the north & south ends of the preserve. That was where most of the exciting nesting action was. There is an active GREAT BLUE HERON rookery in the pond w/about 22 active nests with young. Also present in that area are yet another pair of breeding PILEATED WOODPECKERS, the 5th Lake County F.P. that I have found Pileated Woodpeckers at this June. There are at least 2-3 pairs of breeding RED-HEADED WOODPECKERS in the swampy pond as well. I also saw another pair of RED-HEADED WOODPECKERS bringing food to a nest cavity with young in another area of the preserve during my census as well as at least 5 other calling RHWOs.

As I suspected, both the BROWN CREEPERS and the PROTHONOTARY WARBLERS that I found at MacArthur on the Spring Bird Count (May 5th) were still present and breeding. Today I heard the singing male BROWN CREEPER and another calling CREEPER in the same spot where I had a singing male on May 5th! There are also TWO pairs of breeding PROTHONOTARY WARBLERS nesting in the swampy pond, as both countersinging males were heard and seen, as well as one of the females. I photographed the female and saw one of the males taking food to young in a milk carton nest box placed out in the swamp a few years ago by boy scouts.

Other highlights were calling in a pair (saw one that flew in close!) of BARRED OWLS just east of the swamp, and a singing male CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER that is likely breeding at the north end of the preserve near the active RR tracks that form the northern border of the preserve. Besides finding the active RED-HEADED WOODPECKER nest today, I also found my 4rth active nesting pair of HAIRY WOODPECKERS taking food to calling young in a nest cavity, as well as my 1st nest this June of a breeding pair of DOWNY WOODPECKERS taking food to calling young in a nest cavity. Tomorrow I will see what I can find on my breeding bird census of the southern half of the preserve. It's a good time to get out and see what might be nesting at your local forest preserve! Good birding!

Steve Bailey
Mundelein (Lake Co.)
<sdbailey...><mailto:<sdbailey...>

Then my heart turns to Alaska and freedom on the run, I can hear her spirit calling
me to the mountains, I can rest there. To the rivers, I will be strong.
To the forests, I'll find peace there. To the wild country, where I belong.
- John Denver

Join us on Facebook!