Date: 6/13/18 1:17 pm
From: Jim H <englishhaus...>
Subject: Re: 2 BLUE GROSBEAKS, Imperial Grasslands, Allegheny County
Hello Barb et al,

I’ll second Alan’s and Aidan’s comments and follow with an affirmative for
Barb. I heard the female’s chip calls relatively early during my
observation this morning, but she never showed herself and the male was
almost a no show until after 2 ½ hours of waiting (all without playback),
when he popped up onto a snag and then flew to another perch before
disappearing again. Sadly, he never had the decency to sing or call. I wish
he was idiot enough with an iPod full of human calls to have tricked me.
He’d have saved me a lot of time.
;-)

I did, however, enjoy observing Northern Rough-winged Swallows enter with
food what is surely a nest hole in a large mound of dirt, singing Willow
Flycatchers, Common Yellowthroats, Yellow-breasted Chats, and many others
as well as a flyover Sharp-shinned Hawk, American Kestrel, and
Yellow-billed Cuckoo. There were more Indigo Buntings than I needed to see
that also gave me fits teasing me with their similarity to the Blue
Grosbeak, especially a few of the immature males, but despite the wait, I
had an awesome time seeing, hearing, and studying many other species. A
link to my list with some distant photos of the grosbeak follows.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46524772

Good Birding,
Jim Hausman
Allegheny Co.