Date: 6/13/18 11:02 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Poplar Creek Equestrian Area (Schaumburg Grasslands) Wed 6-13-18
Hello Bird People,

Did another of those not well known western Cook County forest
preserves today. I was here last year looking for a Clay Colored
Sparrow which I did not find. But I recall finding other Sparrows &
today was the same in that department. When I visit places like these
I have no targets in mind rather I pick the location & find whatever I
find. Low key birding as there's nothing you "must" find.

I took the "purple" trail through the Schaumburg Grasslands & that's
where all the good Sparrows were & then I took the "yellow" trail
which is the shrub/small tree area. Along the edges of the shrub areas
you get the woodland species where the trees thicken. Nice place, many
habitats.
Here's my day list:

Poplar Creek Equestrian Area (7:35-10:20 a.m.)

Great Blue Heron (1 fly-by)
Canada Geese (6 fly-bys)
Mallard (1-F)
Turkey Vulture (1 fly-by)
Cooper's Hawk (2 fly-bys)
Red Tailed Hawk (1 or 2 hunting)
Killdeer (2, parking lot)
Mourning Dove (2)
Red Bellied Woodpecker (H-1, woods)
Eastern Pewee (H-3, woods)
Great Crested Flycatcher (H-1, woods)
Eastern Kingbird (2)
Barn (6) & Rough Winged (2) Swallows
Blue Jay (H-2, woods)
Chickadee (H-1)
W.B. Nuthatch (H-1, woods)
House Wren (2)
Eastern Bluebird (1-M, singing)
Robins (10-11)
Brown Thrasher (H-1)
Starling (1 on post by entrance)
Common Yellowthroat (18-20, the most common bird of the day)
Cardinal (2)
Indigo Bunting (1-M)
Field Sparrow (6)
Savannah Sparrow (2)
GRASSHOPPER SPARROW (1, seen very well preening for 4 min)
HENSLOW'S SPARROW (5 or 6, saw 3 very well)
Song Sparrow (6-7)
BOBOLINK (3-M & 2-F)
Red Wings (8-9)
Eastern Meadowlark (10)
Grackle (2)
Cowbird (4)
Goldfinch (7-8)

Missing in action today were Dickcissel which should have been in the
grasslands & Yellow Warbler which should have been in the shrub areas
but weren't.

It was a nice mix of birds from various habitats & although nothing
really special was found the Sparrows were pretty good.
Bird-Of-The-Day to the Grasshopper Sparrow who sat still for a few
minutes as it knew I couldn't hear it. Runners-Up to the Henslow's
Sparrows, the Bobolinks &
the Bluebird.

Al Stokie
Exploring in N.W. Cook County today