Date: 6/13/18 9:40 am
From: 'jovet' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Anhinga Edgewater Maryland
At about 11:45 a.m. today I was driving over the South River Bridge in Edgewater Maryland (Route 2) and saw what I am pretty sure was an Anhinga flying. It was rising upward from the southern side of the river, on the eastern side of the bridge near the marina. I got an excellent but brief view from underneath the bird as I drove by. My impression was that it had a much thinner bill than a double crested cormorant, thinner neck - and what a tail! Large, fan-shaped and very un-cormorant-like.

I was seriously pressed for time and unable to circle back to see if I could find the bird again for confirmation. Also did not have a camera with me so would not have been able verify the ID anyway.

If anyone is in the area and can verify this bird, it would be very awesome. I think there is a good chance that it might hang out, as it was not a "fly-over" of a migrating bird, but a "fly-up" as if repositioning.

Best,

Joanne

Joanne Howl, DVM
West River, MD