Date: 6/13/18 9:03 am
From: Deb Hale <debhale72...>
Subject: Blue Ridge Center (just over the river in VA)
PVAS sponsored a bird walk across the river in nearby Loudoun County,
Virginia, at the Blue Ridge Center for Environmental Stewardship, nearly
1000 acres of meadow and forest with Piney Run creek flowing through and
remnants of historic farm buildings scattered about. It's a magical place,
though a bit muddy today after all the spring rain (& yet another
thunderstorm headed our way this afternoon).

It's one of the best local spots to get one's fix of YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT
(we saw 2 performers) and KENTUCKY WARBLERS (saw 2 at close range, and
heard 3 more singing); plus, this morning we heard, then found, the
BLUE-WINGED WARBLER in the overgrown meadow (it'd been years since I found
one there). The lone RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRD was sitting on the same
telephone line as in previous years.

Thanks to all participants for coming out this morning and slogging through
the poison ivy, gnat clouds, and mire.

Full species list below.

54 species

Wood Duck 1
Green Heron 1 flying over
Black Vulture 2
Turkey Vulture 4
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Mourning Dove 3
Yellow-billed Cuckoo 1
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 4
Downy Woodpecker 2
Northern Flicker 1
Pileated Woodpecker 4
Eastern Wood-Pewee 10
Acadian Flycatcher 15
Great Crested Flycatcher 1
Eastern Kingbird 1
White-eyed Vireo 1
Yellow-throated Vireo 1
Warbling Vireo 1
Red-eyed Vireo 13
American Crow 5
Tree Swallow 10
Barn Swallow 2
Carolina Chickadee 4
Tufted Titmouse 5
White-breasted Nuthatch 2
House Wren 4
Carolina Wren 5
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 8
Eastern Bluebird 8
American Robin 1
Gray Catbird 2
Northern Mockingbird 1
Worm-eating Warbler 1
Louisiana Waterthrush 3
Blue-winged Warbler 1
Kentucky Warbler 5
Common Yellowthroat 3
American Redstart 1
Northern Parula 5
Chipping Sparrow 2
Field Sparrow 3
Song Sparrow 1
Eastern Towhee 1
Yellow-breasted Chat 2
Scarlet Tanager 7
Northern Cardinal 10
Blue Grosbeak 1 heard male singing when I first arrived; later we
could not hear nor locate him.
Indigo Bunting 15
Orchard Oriole 2
Brown-headed Cowbird 4