Date: 6/13/18 6:16 am
From: Don Weiss <0000009ab575ba1e-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: 2 BLUE GROSBEAKS, Imperial Grasslands, Allegheny County
I agree with Alan. In fact, 3 of us went there yesterday in hopes of finding them. The total number of people there was... 3. We ere the only ones. We scouted other places in the area for other species and stopped back later and while we were there the second time the Solomons showed up. Thats 5 for the day. No hoards, nobody wading through the marsh. It was pleasant but, windy day. We did not locate the grosbeaks. I may try again tomorrow. Birders are, by and large, a great, respectful bunch. I enjoy running into them in the field! Don Weiss
http://www.donweissphotography.com

On Wednesday, June 13, 2018, 9:06:22 AM EDT, Alan Buriak <a_buriak...> wrote:

I always appreciate specific directions to a rare and interesting bird.  I think the characterization that "everyone idiot with an ipod will be out there today harassing the grosbeaks" is quite wrong.  The vast majority of the "idiots with an ipod" are not going to be receiving emails from the PABirds listserve, and even if they did, I find it unlikely that the casual idiot is going to drive to an obscure location in an industrial park to see a Blue Grosbeak when most people don't even look out their window to appreciate a Blue Jay in their yard.  We sort of have to assume that those receiving these emails are capable and aware of how to handle themselves with respect to proper behavior when viewing birds, otherwise what is this list even for?  There are bad actors rarely yes, but I'm pretty sure the massive construction efforts at the King Rd area are gonna do more disturbance than any number of birders walking the road and trying to get a glimpse of a beautiful bird.  If people aren't permitted to view and appreciate birds (within reason), then how can we expect anyone to care about their fate?  Just my thoughts.

Good birding,
Alan Buriak