Date: 6/13/18 6:03 am
From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Multnomah/Columbia Forster's Tern
*

The county line is at MP 7, where a gravel road goes east to Willow Bar (used to be a reliable spot for Red-eyed Vireo, on the Columbia side of the line). Forster’s Tern is a very good bird in the Willamette Basin at any date, I believe most likely in June or July. Common Tern is regular in August and September, enough so to justify “default’ status. Lars
> On Jun 12, 2018, at 5:02 PM, Philip Kline <pgeorgekline...> wrote:
>
> Hi Bill:
>
> From your description, the bird was in Columbia County. The Reeder Road platform is located in Columbia County at least a couple hundred yards north of the County line. The wetlands some distance to the south are in Multnomah County, but most of the viewable ponds and marsh are in Columbia.
>
> As for the bird, it's a fantastic sighting either way. I think you would need to carefully rule out Common Tern, which it sounds like you have, but my guess is a Forster's is probably more likely inland at this time of year anyway. I think 2Y individuals of most medium tern species that retain basic/immature plumage stay on the wintering grounds, but some are seen elsewhere every summer.
>
> Any chance you took any photos?
>
> Philip Kline.
>
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2018, 1:48 PM Bill Shanahan <iamshanahan...> <mailto:<iamshanahan...>> wrote:
> Reeder road observation platform (not sure where the county line is). 11 am today.
>
> First sitting, then flying around and diving, finally disappearing to the northwest.
>
> Weird part is it did not appear to be in breeding plumage. Tail, legs, bill, and facial markings were perfect for non breeding Forster's. Thoughts?

Join us on Facebook!