Date: 6/13/18 5:21 am
From: Veer Frost <veer.frost...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Surprises on Mansfield
Hi, I am wondering whether fewer squirrels equals more Bicknells??
Thank you, Chris,Veer Frost, Passumpsic

On June 13, 2018 at 8:04 AM, "Chris Rimmer" wrote:VCE's third field
visit to Mt. Mansfield on Tues-Wed yielded some surprises
among the 61 birds we captured in our 23 mist nets. Weather was
favorable,
though breeze a bit strong from the SW on Wednesday morning, when
activity
subsided rapidly after ~9:00 am.

Far and away, the most unexpected capture was a Philadelphia Vireo,
the
first we have encountered on Mansfield in 27 years of banding. The
bird
showed no signs of breeding and might be a very late migrant, or just
non-breeding wanderer. Very exciting for all to see. As has become
increasingly the norm, but more often later in the season than this
early,
we captured several species characteristic of northern hardwoods
forests.
We suspect that many or most of these are failed or non-breeders.

The capture of a juvenile White-winged Crossbill with
incompletely-grown
flight feathers was another notable surprise, and strongly suggests
that
the bird was locally hatched. That helps explain our capture of the
same
adult pair in the two previous successive weeks. This was, however,
our
only encounter with crossbills on the ridgeline. A few small flocks of
siskins were still present, and we captured 3.

Bicknell's Thrush continue to make a good showing, and we have now
captured
30 individuals so far this season. Still not a single red squirrel has
been
encountered on the mountain, though I was on Okemo Mountain this past
Sunday and ran into half a dozen up there. It looks like a very light
fir
cone crop emerging this year.

Our 2-day list of mist-netted birds:

Least Flycatcher 1
Philadelphia Vireo 1 Carefully examined in hand and photographed;
conspicuous yellowish underparts, small size. Photos to follow. First
banding record on Mansfield in 27 years.
Brown Creeper 1 female with beginning brood patch; failed
breeder(?)
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1 male
Bicknell's Thrush 14 6 new, 3 returns (birds from 2015, 2016 and
2017), 5 within-season recaptures
Swainson's Thrush 3 1 return from 2016, 2 from 2017
American Robin 4 new bandings (1 male, 3 females with full
incubation/brood patches)
Black-and-white Warbler 1 male
Blackpoll Warbler 11 3 new, 5 returns (2 from 2016, 3 from 2017),
3
within-season recaptures
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) 6 3 new, 1 return from 2016, 2
within-season retraps; 2 females with fully-developed incubation
patches
Black-throated Green Warbler 1 female with regressing brood patch;
probably a failed breeder
Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored) 3
White-throated Sparrow 8 6 new, 2 within-season recaptures
Purple Finch 2
White-winged Crossbill 1 locally-hatched juvenile with stubby
tail and
wings (~2/3 grown)
Pine Siskin 3 2 juveniles, 1 adult female

We''ll be back up there next week on Tuesday-Wed.

Chris

Chris Rimmer
Vermont Center for Ecostudies
PO Box 420 | Norwich, Vermont 05055