Date: 6/12/18 4:40 pm
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Subject: [obol] Nighthawk pair in the Coast Range foothills near Finley NWR
Hi all,

Today around 6:30 am while we were monitoring "Oregon" Vesper Sparrows
on a christmas tree farm off of Bellfountain Rd., Bob Altman was going
back for some gear when he flushed two COMMON NIGHTHAWKS that must have
been roosting on the ground. He hollered to alert me.

As I got on them with binoculars, I could see that one was a female
(slightly smaller and had less strongly contrasting markings, with a
smaller white bar on the underwing than the second nighthawk).

They flew around a bit with the male just a few feet behind the female,
calling. But then the female flew off toward the west/northwest (perhaps
headed over Jacob Mathison's yard?) while the male peeled off and went
elsewhere.

The field that the nighthawks flushed from had very young trees (mostly
less than a 8 inches tall) and lots of bare ground, so could conceivably
serve as nesting habitat for nighthawks.

Happy birdwatching,
Joel

--
Joel Geier