Date: 6/12/18 1:28 pm
From: James Bair via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Listener beware. A Southington Cerulean turned, into a Black-throated Blue
Here is my two cents. First of all, they do sound very similar. I always
try to track down the singer to get a visualĀ  ID. Second, I used to hear
a difference. When I was younger, I could hear the BTB's song as "chucky
chucky cheese." It worked for me in the late eighties. In more recent
times, though, the Black-Throated Blue song just sounds like "chuck
chuck cheese." I no longer hear those even notes. My overall hearing is
still OK, but those subtle high notes are out of my range now. Some of
us hear things a little differently, and sometimes it might have to do
with, uh, seniority, or at least, ears not as sensitive as when we were
kids.

Jim Bair