Date: 6/12/18 10:42 am
From: Jim Berry <jim.berry3...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Appleton Farm (TTOR), Jun 12, 2018
Appleton Farm (TTOR), Ipswich
Jun 12, 2018 7:00 AM - 10:15 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.5 mile(s)
Comments: Rebecca Pugh and I birded the farm from the NE corner at
the Waldingfield Rd. parking lot. We walked along the east side of the
tracks as far as the red-headed woodpecker swamp, then Rebecca left and
I continued on the other side of the tracks for awhile. The weather was
perfect, if a little breezy.
42 species (+1 other taxon)

Wild Turkey 3 One of the toms was displaying to the hen in a plowed
field, but the hen, as usual, paid no attention to him.
Great Egret 1
Glossy Ibis 2 4 sightings of lone birds, so prob. some repetition.
Killdeer 2
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 1 Foraging in a plowed field (we didn't
go near the barns, which is why the counts of this sp. and HOSP are low).
Mourning Dove 5
Yellow-billed/Black-billed Cuckoo 1 Called distantly and only
once--not heard well enough.
Chimney Swift 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) 3
Pileated Woodpecker 2 I got a couple clues to where they might be
nesting but will have to follow up. (Near NE corner of farm.)
Eastern Wood-Pewee 2
Eastern Phoebe 1
Great Crested Flycatcher 2
Eastern Kingbird 6 One pair nesting in snag--yet another nest with
no cover. (In RHWO swamp.)
Warbling Vireo 1
American Crow 2
Tree Swallow 20 MANY nest boxes on the property.
Barn Swallow 12
Black-capped Chickadee 2
Tufted Titmouse 1
White-breasted Nuthatch 2
House Wren 1
Eastern Bluebird 9 One poor male was chasing a house sparrow out of
"his" box. Good luck!
American Robin 6
Gray Catbird 2
Northern Mockingbird 1
European Starling 120 many young, and flocks forming
Cedar Waxwing 15 Flock coming down into the CSA field for some
undetermined food.
Common Yellowthroat 2
Pine Warbler 1
Chipping Sparrow 13 first juv. seen
Song Sparrow 8
Northern Cardinal 4
Indigo Bunting 1
Bobolink 9 prob. a severe undercount
Orchard Oriole 1 immature male singing
Baltimore Oriole 4
Red-winged Blackbird 35
Brown-headed Cowbird 4
House Finch 2
American Goldfinch 2
House Sparrow 3

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46498069

Jim Berry Ipswich, Mass. <jim.berry3...>

http://www.avg.com

Join us on Facebook!