Date: 6/12/18 9:13 am
From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Oystercatchers

> On Jun 11, 2018, at 10:38 PM, Linda Fink <linda...> wrote:
>
> Having monitored Black Oystercatcher nests every year since 2005, I cannot agree that the population is in good shape or that all habitats are in use. Of the 6 nest sites I have found over the years in my territory (Road's End and Cascade Head), only 2 are in use this year. 3 of the remaining 4 are apparently too overwhelmed with eagles to make BLOY comfortable nesting there. The 4th apparently lost one of the pair last year and the mate has not returned with a new partner. One lone BLOY did appear today while I was monitoring the 2 remaining nests at Road's End and caused a great deal of uproar at both nest sites as it tried to horn in. Much screaming and chasing and hysteria until the interloper was chased off for good.
>
> Not all BLOY that look like adults are of breeding age. BLOY do not breed until their 3rd year. Those sub-adults generally hang out in groups of 3-5 individuals, but I've seen 10 or more together at Short Beach, unpaired, during breeding season. It's a popular bathing spot for BLOY.
>
> Some folks on the south coast who monitor nests have a lot of losses to peregrines. Likewise at Cape Meares. May survey numbers have not changed much during the time I've been involved so maybe the population is holding but only, I suspect, because the birds can live a very long time if not lost to predation (like 40 years). And, since they nest just a bit above the high tide line, they are very susceptible to rising sea levels. As the bigger offshore rock nesting seabirds are pushed upward, the BLOY are going to lose out.
>
> Linda Fink, admittedly partial to the noisy black shorebirds with long red bills
> --
>
> POST: Send your post to <obol...>

This is an example of why Peregrine Falcons should not be hacked. The State should not be subsidizing the artificial increase in Peregrine populations, and should not allow private individuals or organizations to do so.

I have seen Peregrines attack Black Oystercatchers at Cape Meares and Depoe Bay.

Peregrines are not endangered, Man made structures, such s bridges and buildings have allowed them to nest in areas where they would not have been able to do so prior to such development.

BTW: I loved the story of the Curry County eagle grabbing one and eating it...😎

Jeff Gilligan

POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!