Date: 6/11/18 4:11 pm
From: 'M.Bernat' <mbernat...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: IBET Yet another Lake County Pileated Woodpecker location
Some deer have lost their fear of humans at Oak Forest Heritage Preserve
in Cook County as well, hopefully for a completely different reason than
those that Steven Bailey encountered in Lake County.
At the Cook County location, "Sam and Jo and many others" feed them.
That's what the private guard at the entrance gate told me when I said
I saw a man with a bucket calling the deer over and leaving food. The
guard's first-name familiarity with Sam and Jo and the other feeders
led him to believe it was legal to feed wildlife "because lots of
people do it."
I'll take this opportunity to share the phone number of the FPD of Cook
County police, should anybody see the feeding of wildlife or any other
illegal activity going on in Cook County forest preserves, or should any
of us need help:
Cook County FPD Police
(708) 771-1001

The FPD police have been professional, polite and responsive the few
times I have called them, which have included reporting illegal drone
use. They have training in forest preserve matters and do not assume
something is legal because so many people do it.
Mary Bernat
Thorn Creek Audubon Society
So. Cook and eastern Will counties

Join us on Facebook!