Date: 6/11/18 3:22 pm
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Subject: [obol] Re: [birding] Ash-throated Flycatcher photos
Great find, Nancy!

I wonder if the brush fire in the Timberhill open space area a couple of
years back, combined with last year's oak-release project in nearby
Chip Ross Park, might have yielded some suitable habitat for
Ash-throated Flycatcher.

Though very rare in the Willamette Valley north of Fern Ridge, there
seems to be a pattern of occasional migrants showing up in late
May/early June. On May 22nd last year, Bob Altman and I found a male
singing on an oak/prairie restoration site near Wren (west of
Corvallis). In past years we've also had detections of this species on
the southwest side of Peterson Butte (west of Lebanon) while checking
for grassland sparrows in late May.

The bird near Wren last year didn't seem to find a mate, and eventually
moved on. For birds this far north of the Umpqua Valley (the
northernmost area with a significant population west of the Cascades),
the odd of finding a mate must be very small. But perhaps one of these
years, one will succeed!

Speaking of large flycatchers, today I saw three WESTERN KINGBIRDS lined
up on a wire at a Vesper Sparrow monitoring site in northern Benton
County. A pair of kingbirds have been there at least since May 30th, and
are probably nesting. But I was surprised to see a third kingbird
(apparently also an adult) with them today.

Happy birding,
Joel

On Mon, 2018-06-11 at 11:23 -0700, Nancy Stotz wrote:

> Photos of Ash-throated Flycatcher in NW Corvallis are now available via
> this eBird checklist.
>
> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46475680
>
> I also posted a video to Flickr with a horrible video that has a soft
> recording of pip calls given by the bird. https://flic.kr/p/JsLF2K
> Hard to hear behind the wind noise and OSFL calling, but they are in there.
> Beware, the bird isn't visible, and the cinematography may give some folks
> sea sickness.
>
> Photos aren't as nice as Pam Otley's from Newport yesterday, but it is
> interesting that both birds showed up around this most recent storm.
>
> Nancy Stotz
> Corvallis

Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of Corvallis