Date: 6/11/18 1:35 pm
From: Jane Tatchell <Jane...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Coal Mine Ridge OSP (Sunday June 10)
I had a delightful hike yesterday in Coal Mine Ridge OSP, starting at the main entrance, going up the hill on Old Spanish Trail, spending a little while at the lake at the top, and then going back down Toyon Trail. A warning about Toyon Trail - there's a bees' nest in an oak tree near the top of the trail. The bees took absolutely no notice of me as I walked by, but there were a LOT of them! If you're worried by bees or have children with you, I recommend taking the very close by leg of Old Spanish Trail.

There were lots of young birds around, especially Chestnut-Backed Chickadees, Dark-Eyed Juncos, and Spotted Towhees. At the top of the hill, near the large pond that's half covered in pond weed, I saw a female Black-Headed Grosbeak feeding a begging, newly fledged youngster. At the edge of the pond, there was an immature American Robin with one other robin. About half way back down the hill, I was able to spot an adult male Black-Headed Grosbeak. Also on the Toyon Trail, I heard an Olive-Sided Flycatcher somewhere down-slope and a couple of fairly distant Swainson's Thrushes. On the way up, on the Old Spanish Trail, fairly near the start of the trail, I heard and then saw a male Black-Throated Gray Warbler, and heard a Cassin's Vireo. I tried to get a recording of the latter, but unfortunately it didn't come through. The lake was pretty quiet, nothing particular to report from there.

eBird checklists:

Old Spanish Trail: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46450018

The lake: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46446737

Toyon Trail: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46446301