Date: 6/11/18 1:28 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Waukegan, Illinois Beach South & State Line Beach Monday 6-11-18
Hello Bird People,

After 2 days with no birding due to a.m. rain I tried for some "end of
Spring" shorebirds but only found the regular nesting birds such as
Killdeer & Spotted Sandpipers. Oh well, it will be mid July before you
know it & then I can do shorebirds again.

Waukegan Beach (7:15-8:45 a.m.)

Only shorebird on the beach was Spotted Sandpiper with 1 Killdeer on
the gravel & another on the grass by the parking lot. There were 32
Cormorants flying by & 1 on the pier. There were 29 Canada Geese on
the beach & 24 flying by. Gulls were Ring Billed (30) & Herring (20)
plus about 4 Caspian Terns. Of some interest it looks like the COMMON
TERNS may try & nest again at the Dunes just west of the beach but
they've failed there for the last 2 years. There were about 6 of them
"yelling" at me when I walked by. Land birds were Warbling Vireo,
Marsh Wren, Song Sparrow, Red Wings & 1 Eastern Meadowlark.

Illinois Beach South Unit (9:15-10:45 a.m.)

Three Cormorants were in the lake & on the beach were about 6 adult &
4 young Killdeer & 1 Spotted Sandpiper. Gulls were Ring Billed (54) &
Herring (6) & Terns were Caspian (24) &
Common (3). Swallows were Tree & Barn & 2 BREWER'S BLACKBIRDS were
feeding on the beach.

Non-Beach land birds were Eastern Pewee, Great Crested Flycatcher,
Blue Jay, Chickadee, House Wren, Robins, Warbling & Red Eyed Vireos,
Eastern Towhee, Field Sparrow, Red Wings & 2
Eastern Meadowlark. Most of these birds were on the Dunes Trail as
that's the way I came back.
There were another 8-10 Brewer's Blackbirds in the Dunes area.

State Line Beach (11:30-11:50 a.m.)

Not much here just Ring Billed (15) & Herring (18) Gulls & Caspian
Terns (15). A few Barn Swallows flew by & 1 Warbling Vireo was singing
while 1 Gray Catbird flew by.

Not much to choose from but I'll pick the Common Terns as
Bird-Of-The-Day, may they have better luck with nesting this year.
Runners-Up to the Brewer's Blackbirds & the baby Killdeer.

Al Stokie
In N.E. Lake County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: