Date: 6/11/18 12:57 pm
From: Daniel Lipinski <dano135...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Bainbridge Island Big-morning
I birded a few spots on Bainbridge Island from 8-12:30 on Sunday 6/10. Totaled 49 species, I missed a few easy ones but I was limited on time (notable misses: house sparrow, rock dove, white crowned sparrow, Canada goose, and double crested cormorant) Highlights and route- My route took me first to Rockaway beach for a very low tide and views of a lone drake harlequin duck. Then off to the storm water retention ponds near Wacky Nut Farm where I picked up a surprise Killdeer. Down to Blakely harbor for a few more passerines and my targeted Caspian terns and belted kingfisher. Up to Gazzam Lake where I encountered black-headed grosbeaks, wood ducks and ducklings, a pied billed grebe and my only purple martin of the day. Lastly up to Battle Point park where I was surprised to find a male common yellow throat (an Island first for me), a few tree swallows using the nesting boxes by the P-patch and lots of mallard ducklings in the ponds.