Date: 6/11/18 12:00 pm
From: 'Bailey, Steven D' <sdbailey...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Yet another Lake County Pileated Woodpecker location
While conducting a breeding bird survey at the Elm Rd. Woods Nature Preserve portion of Dan Wright Woods F.P. this morning, I located another PILEATED WOODPECKER! This bird was at the south end of the preserve, and as the Pileated flies, was of a mile from where I've been hearing/seeing the one at Dan Wright Wds F.P. proper, just east of the north end of the parking lot for Dan Wright Woods. I have a feeling that I will be finding another pair at MacArthur Woods N.P. as well, in the coming days. The only other birds of note this morning were a calling, juvenile GREAT HORNED OWL and 3-4 singing male OVENBIRDS.
As I stood still at one of the census points, another white-tailed deer walked up to within about 15 feet of me to check me out, the 2nd time in less than a week that a deer has approached me very closely while I was standing still doing a bird point count. I know that they have poor eyesight, but man! Good birding!

Steve Bailey
Mundelein (Lake Co.)
<sdbailey...>

Join us on Facebook!