Date: 6/11/18 10:14 am
From: Jay Withgott <withgott...>
Subject: [obol] the greatest birding day ever

Hi OBOL —

Many of you will have already come across this 2-week-old news on social media or elsewhere by now, but since it keeps coming up in conversation and since it had not been mentioned on our listserv, and since it’s an absolutely mind-blowing thing no birder should miss, I’m going ahead and posting it here and now….

The most amazing eBird list ever produced:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46116491 <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46116491>

The NY Times story about the event:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/31/science/warblers-canada-migration.html <https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/31/science/warblers-canada-migration.html>

For those of you who viewed the eBird list in the days immediately after the event, you may want to take another look — the observers have added additional photos and videos.

I still find myself wanting a more complete explanation of why exactly this type of migration fallout event happens in this particular spot (looking at it on GoogleEarth, it’s not clear why this place would be as special as, say, Pelee or Magee or High Island), so if anyone comes across a really satisfying explanation for this, please let me know.

Enjoy,

Jay Withgott
Portland

Join us on Facebook!