Date: 6/10/18 5:00 pm
From: Gregory Hanisek via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Listener beware. A Southington Cerulean turned into a Black-throated Blue
This is a good discussion, and covers an area that especially interests me.
First I would say that the issue doesn't have to be cut so fine - B-t Blue
and Cerulean can sound very much alike - period. I learned that back in my
World Series of Birding days in NJ, when recordings of specific song types
of a given species were pretty much unavailable and unknown. One of my team
members, one of the best ear birders I've ever met, and I had some good
arguments until we straightened things out. I always cringe a little bit
when newer birders are IDing species with which they're not very familiar -
saying, "It sounded exactly like xyz recording." I've led 2 field trips
over the past week to Mohawk Mt., a great place to find and listen to a
nice array of breeding warblers. I would say that most species that we
heard multiple times seldom sounded "exactly" alike. Warblers throw in
enough variation before "song types" even come into play. That's why I
think it's maybe a bit of wishful thinking that you're going to winnow
things down to song types on a consistent basis.

These 2 birds occur in very different habitats, and when their habitats
abut, where they might at a place like River Road in Kent, they occupy
different niches. So a big part of IDing a bird by song is knowing when and
where a song you think you recognize is out of place - either by habitat or
by season. We always like to get a eye on every bird we hear, but it's not
going to happen. So you want to make the extra effort to see a bird when
you realize you're in the wrong place or at the wrong time. Jack reacted
that way, which was good birding.

So bottom line - keeping going out and listening. Hearing and seeing a lot
of known-ID birds is the best way to learn - far superior to tapes in more
or less of a vacuum. And please, if you hear an E Wood-Pewee in March,
remember Starings can do a spot-on imitation:)

Greg Hanisek
Waterbury