Date: 6/10/18 1:40 pm
From: Susan Hedman <2winterwren...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Fwd: eBird Report - Martin Burns WMA, Jun 10, 2018
Date: Sunday, June 10, 2018nSubject: eBird Report - Martin Burns WMA, Jun
10,
Martin Burns WMA, Byfield Orchard St. Massachusetts
Jun 10, 2018 7:15 AM - 10:45 AM
Protocol: TravelingM2.0 mile(s)
Comments: BBC Walk sunny clear skies 64-70 degree temperatures little
to no wind, even not too buggy. Highlights numerous Indigo Buntings, 6
Black-billed Cuckoos some affording us long views, Scarlet Tanagers,
Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, Yellow Throated Vireos, Alder Flycatcher,
Blue-winged Warblers, a GB Heron rookery and a huge surprise, singing
Mourning Warbler! Notable misses of birds we used to have here regularly,
Field Sparrow, Prairie Warbler, Chestnut-sided Warbler, Bluebirds, and
thrushes. I have been birding here for more than 20 years and there used to
be thrushes singing from the woodlands on this trip. There also used to be
bluebird boxes, which gave us nesting Bluebirds and Tree Swallows. On the
positive side the fields are not so over grown as in the past. Lots of
butterflies on the trip, viceroys, red-spotted, purples, pearl crescents
and skippers.
39 species

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) 25
Glossy Ibis (Plegadis falcinellus) 1
Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis) 2
Black-billed Cuckoo (Coccyzus erythropthalmus) 6 Great views of some
of these
Belted Kingfisher (Megaceryle alcyon) 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus) 2
Downy Woodpecker (Picoides pubescens) 2
Eastern Wood-Pewee (Contopus virens) 3
Alder Flycatcher (Empidonax alnorum) 1
Eastern Phoebe (Sayornis phoebe) 1
Great Crested Flycatcher (Myiarchus crinitus) 3
Yellow-throated Vireo (Vireo flavifrons) 3
Warbling Vireo (Vireo gilvus) 1
Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus) 3
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) 2
Tree Swallow (Tachycineta bicolor) 3
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) 4
Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor) 2
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (Polioptila caerulea) 2
American Robin (Turdus migratorius) 4
Gray Catbird (Dumetella carolinensis) 12
Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum) 20
Ovenbird (Seiurus aurocapilla) 5
Blue-winged Warbler (Vermivora cyanoptera) 7
Black-and-white Warbler (Mniotilta varia) 1
Mourning Warbler (Geothlypis philadelphia) 1 Singing for 10+ minutes
in a thick tangle over water just before reaching gravel rail bed. Saw
movement, but no real looks at the bird one in group recorded bird
Common Yellowthroat (Geothlypis trichas) 10
Yellow Warbler (Setophaga petechia) 1
Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina) 12
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) 2
Scarlet Tanager (Piranga olivacea) 3
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) 1
Rose-breasted Grosbeak (Pheucticus ludovicianus) 6
Indigo Bunting (Passerina cyanea) 9
Baltimore Oriole (Icterus galbula) 12
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus) 6
Brown-headed Cowbird (Molothrus ater) 2
Common Grackle (Quiscalus quiscula) 6
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis) 6

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46448271

Susan Hedman, Gloucester
"I believe in God, only I spell it Nature." Frank Lloyd Wright

Join us on Facebook!