Date: 6/10/18 12:50 pm
From: Sameer Apte <sameerapte1...>
Subject: 2 BLUE GROSBEAKS, Imperial Grasslands, Allegheny County
Hi all,
Tessa Rhinehart, Jack Chaillet, and I birded the Imperial Grasslands this
morning. Upon entering King Road Jack called out a female BLUE GROSBEAK
from the car. After brief but identifiable looks this bird disappeared into
the marshes and brief playback flushed an adult male Blue Grosbeak which
immediately started to sing from the leafy tree in the marsh. Photos can be
found on our checklist, the link to which is below.
Incidentally, Michael David's follow-up to our report had neither male or
female adult birds, but an immature male, which indicates that there are at
least 3 birds present at this site. While nesting has historically occurred
here, BLGR has not recently bred in the county and it would be very cool to
see evidence of breeding.
Also notable from King Rd. were a Ring-necked Pheasant on the berm on the
left after turning from Westport Rd., several very vocal Yellow-breasted
Chats, close looks at a Grasshopper Sparrow, White-eyed Vireo, and 5
species of breeding warblers (Blue-winged, Ovenbird, Prairie, Yellow,
yellowthroat).

Bobolinks and a Horned Lark were present at the truck stop, and while
Henslow's Sparrows were not singing at the west grasslands, they were
abundant at the Beagle Rd. area down the road in Washington Co.

Less rare but also of note was a total of around 8 to 10 Green Herons
throughout the day, a surprisingly high number for the county.

The link to the checklist is here:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46443427

Good birding,
Sameer Apte