Date: 6/10/18 12:41 pm
From: Mike Unger <unger730...>
Subject: [obol] SAS Minto-Brown Island Park Bird Walk Report
*SAS Minto-Brown Island Park Bird Walk Report*

*June 10, 2018*

Barbara, Fred, Kay and I led a SAS Minto-Brown Island Park bird walk this
morning. We were joined by 15 other birders including a contingent from
the Audubon Society of Corvallis. It was a cool and wet morning with
temperatures ranging from 50 degrees to 54 degrees but it felt colder. We
walked about 3.3 miles as we covered the west side of the park including a
portion along the Willamette River. We walked out as far as Eola Bend Park.
The bird activity was fair as we observed (saw or heard) 43 species.

The highlights were as follows:

· We saw three species of woodpeckers including *Downy Woodpecker,
Red-breasted Sapsucker* and *Northern Flicker*;

· There were two *Osprey* including one in the parking lot on a
pole eating a fish;

· A *Band-tailed Pigeon* flew over us at one point during the walk.
It is the first Band-tailed Pigeon we have observed during our walks in
several years;

· There were quite a few swallows over the river including *Tree,
Barn and Northern Rough-winged Swallows*;

· We observed five warblers during the walk including *Common
Yellowthroats*, *Nashville*, *Wilson’s* and *Yellow Warblers* as well as
some birders hearing a *Yellow-breasted Chat*; and

· Some of the misses for the day were the *Lazuli Bunting*, *Barred
Owl*, *Wood Duck* and *Belted Kingfisher*.

The next field trip is the *Ankeny NWR field trip* on *Tuesday, June 19th
at 7:00 AM.* *Note:* Meet at the Eagle Marsh parking lot off of Buena
Vista Rd. *not* the Overlook. The next SAS Shorts bird walk is at *Keizer
Rapids Park *on *Tuesday, June 26th at 9:00 AM*. Meet in the back parking
lot near the boat ramp. There is also a special bird walk at Illahe
Country Club in Salem on *Monday, June 25th at 8:00 AM.* Meet in the golf
course parking lot. Please join us if you can.

Mike Unger

Keizer, OR

*Minto-Brown Island Park Checklist Summary for June 10, 2018*

*Identified Species: 43*

7 Canada Goose
4 Mallard
3 California Quail