Date: 6/9/18 8:49 pm
From: Arthur Shippee via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Hamden: Nesting mockingbirds; 7 nests in heronry
Hamden: good news for our summer bird count & breeding bird atlas. The Whitneyville Cemetery (Whitney Ave & Treadwell) is dependable for NOMO, and right off I found a bird carrying nesting material.

The Upper Lake Whitney Heronry is thriving & growing. I counted 7 nests & 18 birds (clearly other adults involved; 12 chicks visible). It's hard to keep them all separate. Viewed from E end of bridge down almost to the speed bump. There has been remarkable growth here this year.

Pictures & video posted on CT Audubon FB page. I'll send around links when I have them.

Good night!

> Waite bridge & causeway Lake Whitney, New Haven, Connecticut, US
> Jun 9, 2018 3:45 PM - 4:30 PM
> Protocol: Stationary
> 3 species
>
> Great Blue Heron 18 I counted 7 nests today, 6 clearly with chicks. Visible from E end of the bridge down towards the speed bump, from left end of pines. A remarkable development here.
> Osprey 1 Off towards the Mill River mouth, being chased by grackle or something. The nest seems empty.
> Baltimore Oriole 1 Seen up in trees near heronry. There is a nest in the elm, but haven't seen direct evidence of bird in nest.
>
> View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46434889

_______

Whitneyville Cemetery, New Haven, Connecticut, US
Jun 9, 2018 3:30 PM
Protocol: Incidental
1 species

Northern Mockingbird 3 Watched from west end. Heard a singing bird on the other side, towards the Treadwell / Whitney light.

Saw two birds, quiet, around the W end, including one harvesting grass and flying into yew bushes with bittersweet at the W end, twice.

Pictures posted on Connecticut Audubon FB picture site.

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46434723 <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46434723>

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org <http://ebird.org/>)