Date: 6/9/18 7:42 pm
From: Jim Berry <jim.berry3...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Willowdale SF (east) and Middleton Community Gardens, Jun 9, 2018
Willowdale SF (east), Ipswich
Jun 9, 2018 6:55 AM - 9:55 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments: Seven of us entered Willowdale from Topsfield/Ipswich Rd.
at the town line and walked a 2-mile loop, including the grassy field
that was formerly an illegal dump. I had the best results there I've
ever had. The walk was one of several today that were part of the
annual Ipswich River Watershed Assn. birding event organized by Suzanne
Sullivan.
37 species

Yellow-billed Cuckoo 2 Heard from 2 places, one of them the
aforesaid field. That one gave the slow cou, cou, cou calls; the other
gave the "standard" kowp-kowp-kowp calls.
Black-billed Cuckoo 1
Barred Owl 1 flew up and perched for us soon after we entered the
forest, starting things off with a bang
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 1 male holding territory at edge of field
Downy Woodpecker 3 female feeding unseen young in cavity; sounded
like at least 2 young
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Eastern Wood-Pewee 10 m all singing
Eastern Phoebe 2
Great Crested Flycatcher 2
Red-eyed Vireo 4
Blue Jay 5
Black-capped Chickadee 6
Tufted Titmouse 6
White-breasted Nuthatch 3
Brown Creeper 2
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 2
Veery 1 m
Hermit Thrush 1 m
Gray Catbird 6
Cedar Waxwing 3
Ovenbird 24 all but one singing
Blue-winged Warbler 2 2 males singing in field
Black-and-white Warbler 1
Common Yellowthroat 1
American Redstart 1 where we parked
Yellow Warbler 1
Pine Warbler 4
Chipping Sparrow 3
Song Sparrow 1 edge of field
Eastern Towhee 2 one at edge of field
Scarlet Tanager 2 m One of these males was all over that owl,
giving chip-burr calls constantly. (The owl did nothing.)
Northern Cardinal 2
Indigo Bunting 1 m singing in field
Brown-headed Cowbird 4 including one juv., alone
Common Grackle 1
House Finch 1
American Goldfinch 3

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46425271

*********

North Shore Community Gardens, Middleton
Jun 9, 2018 10:07 AM - 12:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.005 mile(s)
Comments: This walk was part 2 of the Ipswich River Watershed
Assn's. birding event, where participants from all three early walks met
to walk this site and have lunch. (Suzanne Sullivan and Dave Williams
led the other two walks in Wilmington and Reading, respectively.)
32 species

Canada Goose 37
Green Heron 1 Found a nest with 3 eggs
Glossy Ibis 3
Turkey Vulture 2
Red-tailed Hawk 2
Killdeer 4 including 2 chicks
Spotted Sandpiper 1 in a plowed field, where it could have been nesting
Mourning Dove 1
Chimney Swift 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Willow Flycatcher 2
Eastern Kingbird 2
Warbling Vireo 2
Blue Jay 1
American Crow 1
Barn Swallow (American) 3
Carolina Wren 1
American Robin 2
Gray Catbird 2
European Starling 15 Approx
Cedar Waxwing 1
Common Yellowthroat 5
Yellow Warbler 4
Song Sparrow 5
Swamp Sparrow 1
Northern Cardinal 2
Orchard Oriole 3 Found nest in a big willow with both adult male
and 1st-year male feeding young (no female seen)
Baltimore Oriole 4 Found nest in same tree where the orchards were nesting!
Red-winged Blackbird (Red-winged) 25 Approx
Brown-headed Cowbird 2
Common Grackle (Bronzed) 20 Approx
American Goldfinch 1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46422528

--
Jim Berry Ipswich, Mass. <jim.berry3...>

http://www.avg.com

Join us on Facebook!