Date: 6/9/18 6:51 pm
From: Christopher Loscalzo via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] King Rail
While birding by kayak in the Quinnipiac River late today for the New Haven
Summer Bird Count (and the CT Bird Atlas), we came upon what we are
confident was a King Rail calling repeatedly from within the marsh grass.
It was giving its "k-k-kerrr" call repeatedly. We were able to record it
with our iphone and placed the recording in our ebird report for the trip.
In the same area where the rail was calling there was a Least Bittern and a
Seaside Sparrow. (I've never been so unexcited to see a Least Bittern!).
We also saw a drake Green-winged Teal in the marsh, keeping company with a
Mallard pair. The location of the rail is accessible by boat only. For
those inclined to go look and listen for it, launch from the Sackett Point
Road boat launch and go south down the river. It will wind east and then
south again past the stores on Universal Drive. The river then turns west.
After about 200 yards, the river turns south again, but opposite it is a
tributary that heads north. The rail was calling from along that tributary.
Good luck if you go!

Chris Loscalzo and Marianne Vahey,

Woodbridge