Date: 6/9/18 3:25 pm
From: Ryan Candee <ryanacandee...>
Subject: Re: [nysbirds-l] Bryant Park Northern Waterthrush etc continue
For what it's worth, we've been seeing a male Common Yellowthroat in our backyard (and I'm sure our neighbors' yards) near the Brooklyn museum since May 5. No way of telling whether it's the same bird but most years we don't get any warblers back here (also had BT Blue and Parula during peak migration but they moved on pretty quickly).

> On Jun 9, 2018, at 8:16 AM, Joseph Wallace <joew701...> wrote:
>
> Thanks, Angus...I find this discussion very interesting. I agree about the "trap" qualities of Bryant Park, though I do hope that many of the birds eventually move on. (A pair of park workers once told me that they call in animal rehab often for disoriented Woodcocks, so at least those birds survive.)
>
> The gender disparity in Yellowthroats intrigues me as well. I've been trying to check the park about once a week since last fall, and there have been Yellowthroats there nearly every visit aside from deep winter. And virtually every time there have been more males than females. That amazing day last month (with the Mourning Warbler on the lawn of Madison Square Park), when I saw 16 Yellowthroats on the lawn at Bryant Park, 10 of them were male...and that was actually a lower ratio than usual, though obv a larger sample size. (And speaking of Madison Sq. Park...the male/female Yellowthroat ratio has been similarly skewed when I've searched there...a small-park thing?) Thanks again--Joe
> --
> Welcome and Basics
> Rules and Information
> Subscribe, Configuration and Leave