Date: 6/9/18 3:37 am
From: Adrian Hinkle <adrian.hinkle...>
Subject: [obol] Harney County June 1-5
Hi all,

I just returned from a family trip to Harney County with Chris Hinkle and
our parents, Em and Steve.

Upon arriving to Fields on the evening of 31 May, we had two American
Redstarts and one singing Gray Catbird. Clouds, rain, and wind persisted
into the evening, but for the rest of the trip we had mostly sunny skies
and little wind.

June 1st was an interesting day in Fields, and more surprising than the
smattering of vagrants were Mountain Chickadee, Brown Creeper, and Hermit
Thrush. Warblers were scarce, but we had a few (about five to ten each)
pewees, Warbling Vireos, Black-chinned Hummingbirds, tanagers, and empids.
Further, we had Gray Catbird, a singing Least Flycatcher, Northern
Mockingbird, and a surprise flyover Purple Martin, which flew in from the
east and continued westward. In Andrews we found an immature male American
Redstart.

June 2nd in Fields was slower than the day before, but new migrants
included Long-eared Owl, Eastern Kingbird, Swainson's Thrush, Great Egret,
and Spotted Towhee.

June 3rd proved even slower in Fields, with few warblers and not even a
pewee, but we did find two Gray Catbirds (we suspect new arrivals) and one
Magnolia Warbler. Roaring Springs Ranch had two Great-tailed Grackles
(viewed from the road), and in the afternoon we refound Magnolia Warbler,
American Redstart, and Chestnut-sided Warbler at Malheur HQ (first reported
by Dan and Anne Heyerly - thanks!), along with 2 Gray Catbirds,
Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Red Crossbill, White-crowned Sparrow, and other
migrants.

On June 4th, HQ had the continuing Chestnut-sided Warbler, Gray Catbird,
and Ruby-crowned Kinglet, but no new migrants at all, aside from one Rufous
Hummingbird and a Long-billed Dowitcher. June 5th had a small mix of new
arrivals, though all lingering migrants from the day before had departed.
One singing Townsend's Warbler was our first of the trip. The Gray Catbirds
seemed gone, further suggesting that SE Oregon vagrant traps simply get a
fair number of these migrants, as opposed to single long-staying
individuals.

We did explore Pikes Creek, the Pueblo Mountains, and several parts of
Malheur NWR refuge, finding a nice mix of expected species, but nothing of
exceptional note.

Good birding,

Adrian Hinkle
Portland, OR