Date: 6/8/18 6:57 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Del. Nature Society's Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (06 Jun 2018) Raptors
Del. Nature Society's Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve
Avondale, Pennsylvania, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Jun 06, 2018

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 0 0 0
Osprey 0 0 1
Bald Eagle 0 0 0
Northern Harrier 0 0 0
Sharp-shinned Hawk 0 0 0
Cooper's Hawk 0 0 0
Northern Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 0 0
Broad-winged Hawk 0 0 0
Red-tailed Hawk 0 0 0
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 0 0 0
American Kestrel 0 0 0
Merlin 0 0 0
Peregrine Falcon 0 0 0
Mississippi Kite 0 0 2
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 0 0 3

Observation start time: 11:00:00
Observation end time: 19:30:00
Total observation time: 8.5 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY’S SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY KITE & SHOREBIRD WATCH AT
BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (20): Jerry Jeffers (plus 2), Susan Jeffers, Mike Defina, Chad
Hutchinson, Anne Oldach, Margretta Brokaw, Poly Brokaw, Dennis Davis, Sue
McLaughlin, Howard Campbell, Fran DeMillion, Patricia Jacobs, Deb
Kirchdoerfer, Elaine Kirk, Cindy Wilson, Laura Barnes, Jim Balint.
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Kite &
Shorebird Watch!
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Intermittent Clouds (70% cloud cover), Ceiling - 6,400-14,700 ft.,
Visibility - 10 miles, Temps 67 - 63F, Winds NNW @ 5 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 4-Red-tailed Hawk, and
numerous Black (10) and Turkey Vultures (30).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Darkness Descends”---
<BR><BR>
“The Early Bird Blog’s” daily word is “beacon.” Play along with me…how
would you define it? Let’s see how close you are. For my part, I always
confuse this word in what’s left of my mind, with “beckon.” But that’s a
story for another day. I finally settled upon it meaning a light directing
a course; as in a lighthouse. But how close was I? “One-Look” - my source
for all my words - says it means a fire or light set up in prominent
position as a warning, signal, guide, or celebration. This noun has
English roots. How close were you to the exact phrasing of the definition?
We love words…do you? Choose the right one, use it in the right way and
it can say so much for you. While certainly if you don’t, it can cause so
much harm. Feel free to suggest your favorite.
<BR><BR>
“The Watch” day: June 6 – Our final day began with hope, but the realism
that we had simply missed the bulk of Kites and shorebirds this season,
moved incipiently into my thoughts. Dennis jokingly suggested that the
bonfire, once ignited, might act as a beckon for the shorebirds. I wish,
but they gave us “the slip” this day and much of this year’s watch.
<BR><BR>
Chad & Mike arrived, this time packing “Coastal Evacuation“ beer, a Cape
may IPA, claiming it was for shorebird evacuation, not a prediction of
intensely bad weather coming our way that would cause such an evacuation.
Seriously, who names these beers!?!? Nice touch, guys! I think we need to
open our own brewery. I would love the job of naming them. Now, who could
we get for quality control? Any ideas, MIKE? Taste tester, CHAD??
<BR><BR>
Sue arrived with crackers and cheese (see how I changed that up on you –
not the reverse – I’m all about keeping if fresh, my friends). Thanks Sue,
it was delicious. You know, I believe I’ve heard it said somewhere that
gifts of food and beverages are not only welcomed, but to be encouraged
here at Bucktoe. I’m not sure, though. I’ll look into it and get back to
you.
<BR><BR>
Our bonfire was fantastic with many keeping company within its warm glow.
I beckoned several people over for pictures around the fire pit. Greg
manned the grill and dispersed hot dogs. Many brought food and drink,
there was a sparkling, bubbly, adult beverage of some sort floating around,
brought by Elaine. There were pizzas, crackers, cheeses, wine, and other
edibles and drinkables scattered about. And to all those bringing food and
drink, I must “admonish” you that offerings of food and drink are not only
welcomed, but to be encouraged here at beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve. I
won’t be back on site until mid-August for the beginning of the Nighthawk
Watch and the Hawk Watch which follows, so hold your offerings until then.
That is, unless you come on one of my other walks or trips I’ll be
scheduling. Then, by all means, feel free to “offer!” Thanks, guys – you
were great!
<BR><BR>
Better birds among our 54 species were: Great Blue Heron, Yellow-breasted
Chat, and Blue Grosbeaks.
<BR><BR>
Thanks for your comments about ‘the Blog,’ Jerry & Patricia.
<BR><BR>
Now, a brief “Watch Recap:” What a strange year it was. In many ways very
disappointing, but as I am want to say, there is no great or good year,
without poor or bad years providing contrast. Well, this was a “contrast
year.” We set lows for Mississippi Kites, with only two – although they
were fantastic looks. And the shorebirds only showed up on four evenings –
this year many were very late in the evening and distant, going
unidentified. I believe most left later in the day on one of the VERY MANY
bad weather days we had, passing overhead unobserved after darkness had
descended.
We missed identifying Ruddy Turnstones and Red Knots for the first time
since beginning this event. We did see Dunlin, Black-bellied Plovers,
Sanderlings, and record numbers of Whimbrels came by – approx.. 630, though
a bit early for our official “Whimbrel Day.” We did get an Olive-sided
Flycatcher for our event, as we always do. As for Kites and Shorebirds,
we’ll “hit it” better next year – I mean, now that we HAVE CONTRAST!
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Delaware Nature Society, and especially, to the Brokaws,
for their incredible support and gracious generosity in opening their
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: Shorebirds: none.
<BR><BR>
3-Great Blue Heron, 2-Willow Flycatcher, 2-Yellow-breasted Chat, 2-Blue
Grosbeak.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (4): Cabbage White, Eastern Tiger
Swallowtail, Eastern Tailed Blue, Variegated Fritillary. Dragonflies (1):
Green Darner. Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals (0).
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 8.2; Steps: 19,228; Floors: 26.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a Kite &
Shorebird watch, but conduct a migration tally from the site. We include
it here, from time to time (about once a week), to let you know what else
feature an approximation (very rough, best “guestimate,” – searching for
Kites and migrating shorebirds, must remain our primary focus) for totals
of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 54; this season: 90
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
It's all over for this season, folks. Come join us for the Nighthawk Watch
beginning on August 23, followed by the Bucktoe Hawk Watch beginning Sept.
1, running thru November 30.
<BR><BR>
The Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by
Delaware Nature Society (DNS) and the Brokaw family. Please contact us at

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=788

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: