Date: 6/8/18 1:32 pm
From: Gregory William Grove <gwg2...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - Greenwood Lookout Tower and trails nearby, Jun 8, 2018
Today, Deb and I walked a loop I do on top of Broad Mt above Greenwood Furnace SP in Huntingdon Co. Our list is below. This includes the area of the Greenwood Furnace Fire Tower, elev. 2400 ft. The loop is triangular - involving Rag Hollow Rd, the gated road up to fire tower, and a half mile stretch of the Standing Stone Trail. Lots of Towhees, Chestnut-sided Warb., Yellowthroats. Yellow-rumped Warblers summer here as well. I have had some good days on this loop during fall migration.

For those familiar with this location - major changes are underway. Large areas are being cut back with removal of many trees and much of the undergrowth. By no means a clear-cut , but substantial nevertheless. The purpose of the cut is to create early successional habitat - which is favored by Grouse (and a number of other species of course). Our state bird is in significant decline - from various factors including West Nile Virus and decrease in their ideal habitat as forests in PA mature.

On a related note - I have heard the fire tower there will be re-opened to the public.

Greg