Date: 6/8/18 1:24 pm
From: Mike Sargent <msargent...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] whistling-ducks video / bobolinks
I watched the whistling-ducks yesterday morning as they alternated between preening on a log jutting out into the pond and then flying out to the middle of the pond, swimming around and taking a few drinks, and returning to the log. This apparently is typical daytime behavior, and in the evening they go off to feed. As people have noted, the covered railroad bridge serves as a convenient blind, as does the thick vegetation on the bank of the pond. The bridge, built over a hundred years ago, is a magnificent structure, almost Gothic in impact, and is worth the short hike for its own sake. I posted a brief video/slideshow at:

https://vimeo.com/274149805

On an unrelated note, I stopped at the Dead Creek WMA on the way back and saw some bobolinks on Gage Road, in the fields on the north side about halfway down the road.

Join us on Facebook!