Date: 6/8/18 9:33 am
From: Bob Schutsky <info...>
Subject: Re: Probable Trumpeter Swans, Southern Lancaster County
Dear PABirders,

At 12:15pm I checked on the swans and they are now much closer, less
than 1/2 way across the river, still directly in front of my house at
216 Spring Lane. I am now even more convinced that they are Trumpeter
Swans. In addition to the field marks mentioned below, there is no
yellow lore spot visible. I know that this is not definitive, as
Tundras occasionally have no yellow lore. But it certainly adds to the
evidence.

A good spot to scope from is the Peach Bottom boat launch, at the
downriver end of Peach Bottom Road, just across the railroad tracks. Do
not confuse this with the Peach Bottom Marina, which is at the mouth of
Peter's Creek.

Good Luck!
BOB

On 6/8/2018 11:57 AM, Bob Schutsky wrote:
> Dear PABirders,
>
> There are two adult swans on the Susquehanna River across from my house
> this morning.  They give every indication of being Trumpeter Swans.  The
> bills appear very flat, not concave as in a Tundra Swan.  The heads seem
> rather flat, not rounded as in a Tundra Swan.  And both swans appear
> larger than a typical Tundra Swan, with heavier necks.  The morning
> light is good, but they are at least 3/4 of the way across the river,
> much closer to the York County shoreline.  Thus they are approximately
> one mile away, which makes a positive identification just a bit tricky.
> I hope that someone is able to see them at closer range and confirm the ID.
>
> Sincerely,
> BOB
>
> BOB SCHUTSKY
> Web Site  www.birdtreks.com
> --
> BIRD TREKS--Quality Worldwide Birding Tours
> 216 Spring Lane
> Peach Bottom, PA USA 17563-4008
> VOICE 717-548-3303      CELL 717-572-0771      FAX 717-548-3327
> E-MAIL <info...>

Join us on Facebook!