Date: 6/8/18 7:23 am
From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Distribution of noble fir in the Coast Range???
*

I am sure all the sites referred to by Ken involve naturally occurring trees. Noble fir (called “larch” by old time loggers, hence the numerous “Larch Mountains” in nw Oregon) was not a commercial lumber species in the past, and wouldn’t have been planted. The Douglas-fir planted on Mt Hebo was a highly inappropriate seed source (“off site” in the words of Eric Forsman) and the trees struggled. All entities, public and private, have gotten very sophisticated in choice of seed source in the ensuing decades.Extensive clearcutting on Mt Hebo recently is to replace the D-fir with better genetic material. Best of all would be western hemlock, which doesn’t get Swiss needle-cast, a non-native airborne fungus. lpn
> On Jun 8, 2018, at 7:06 AM, Ken Chamberlain <kjchamberlain...> wrote:
>
> Dave
> Noble firs are scattered on Mount Hebo in Tillamook Co. coast range. Here is an example https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/4215255 <https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/4215255>
>
> They are not found on the most westerly and easterly which were most disturbed by DOD radar installations during Cold War era. The origin of the trees is unsure, they could have been planted after large fires burnt the area in the early 1900s.
>
> I’ve also see them on the higher ridges of NE Tillamook Co. (45.7364461,-123.3945503), with the same question of origin.
>
> Also, on Saddle Peak, Clatsop.
>
> While not technically in the coast range I recall seeing nobles on Brandy Peak, Curry Co, and Mt Bolivar, Coos. Both the highest peaks on their county
>
> I’d guess there are other locations as well.
>
> Ken Chamberlain
> Portland
>

> On Jun 8, 2018, at 6:14 AM, David Irons <llsdirons...> <mailto:<llsdirons...>> wrote:
>
>> Good morning,
>>
>> This is a question for anyone who can answer it. Does noble fir occur anywhere in the Coast Range other then at summit of Marys Peak? I've not seen them elsewhere.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Dave Irons
>> Beaverton, OR

Join us on Facebook!