Date: 6/7/18 5:22 pm
From: LaBarr, Mark <MLaBARR...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] Golden-winged Warbler update
Greetings all...just wanted to update everyone on some of the recent golden-wing activity. Last Saturday, June 2, was the first Buckner Preserve Winged-warbler Blitz. Staff from Audubon, The Nature Conservancy and intrepid volunteers surveyed TNC's Helen W. Buckner Preserve in West Haven. We located 8 golden-wings, 7 blue-wings and 4 hybrids. In addition there were 5 other winged warblers that were heard not seen so we could not positively identify. The day was windy so there was some speculation that there were birds we missed. These numbers were similar to what we found in 2014 when Buckner was first surveyed. Not only that but there were an abundance of Prairie Warblers to boot. Thanks everyone for a great event.

On another note...on a Green Mountain Audubon walk of June 2 we located 3 (possibly 4) golden-wings and a hybrid. Two of the golden-wings, Mr. Orange and Mr. White (named after their colored leg bands) returned for the fourth year. In 2016 and 2017 these birds carried geolocators to their wintering grounds and back. Mr. Orange spent his winter in Columbia and Mr. White in Costa Rica. They have both given many birders great looks over the past month.

We welcome all winged warbler sightings and don't forget to upload to EBird.

Mark

Mark LaBarr
Conservation Program Manager
Audubon Vermont