Date: 6/7/18 2:39 pm
From: 'Robert D. Hughes' <rhughes.enteract...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Montrose Barn Owl, 6/7 a.m.

This is why it pays to keep birding in June (and why it also pays to
track down complaining blackbirds).

I was at Montrose Point in Chicago this morning, June 7, looking for
late migrants and any oddball birds that might show up. Montrose holds
late migrants better than most places and I try to keep birding it until
the second week in June or so. At about 8:00 a.m. I heard some Common
Grackles and Red-winged Blackbirds making a major league ruckus over
something in the trees not far from where I was. I walked over to where
they were, expecting to see a Cooper's Hawk or something else mundane.
When I scanned the trees where the blackbirds were I saw a Barn Owl
looking very agitated. I took a few photos, admired the bird for a bit,
and walked away. The blackbirds were mercilessly harassing the owl and I
didn't want to stress it any further. After a few minutes I stopped
hearing the blackbirds complaining, so I don't know if the owl settled
in or flew off to calmer pastures. This is about the 5th Barn Owl I've
seen at Montrose in the 40 years I've been birding there.

Robert D. Hughes
Chicago, Illinois
Birding Montrose Point:
http://theorniphile.info/birding-montrose-point/index.html
The Montrose Birding Blog: http://theorniphile.info/wordpress/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/robertdhughes63
Montrose on eBird: http://ebird.org/ebird/hotspot/L161180

Posted by: "Robert D. Hughes" <rhughes.enteract...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)