Date: 6/7/18 2:13 pm
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Subject: [obol] Fledgling season for sparrows is underway
Hi all,

I'm starting to see fledglings of several species of sparrows now, in
the course of Vesper Sparrow monitoring.

On June 5th a pair of SONG SPARROWS were busy feeding at least two
fledglings with small insects that they were plucking out of Poison
Hemlock (gulp!) flowers, at the east end of Cardwell Hill Rd. near Wren
(west end of access to the trail to Fitton Green), west of Corvallis.

This morning (June 7th) in the Soap Creek Valley north of Corvallis,
three CHIPPING SPARROW fledglings were tagging around behind a pair of
adults.

As for VESPER SPARROWS, the first round of nesting is almost finished.
Nestlings have "fledged" (in the sense of hopping away from their nests)
in most of the nests that are active. However, we have yet to see one
capable of flight -- parents are still feeding them down in the grass.

SAVANNAH SPARROWS seem to be in the same stage. I've been seeing parents
carrying food to multiple locations (rather than just a single location
as when they're carrying food to a nest), but I have yet to see a
juvenile Savannah Sparrow flying around.

Good birding,
Joel

--
Joel Geier