Date: 6/7/18 1:36 pm
From: Christopher Loscalzo via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] A novel way to confirm hummingbird nesting
We were in Norfolk today, doing some birding for the CT Bird Atlas project.
After hiking the trails at Haystack Mountain State Park, we decided to have
lunch at a picnic table by the edge of the small pond there. While dining,
we observed a female Ruby-throated Hummingbird fly over to the cattail
stalks by the edge of the pond. She stuffed as much of the cattail seed
fluff as she could into her bill and then flew off into the woods with the
big ball of fluff in her bill. Species confirmed as nesting with code "CN"
carrying nesting material! What fun!

Chris Loscalzo and Marianne Vahey,

Woodbridge