Date: 6/6/18 8:03 pm
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Breeding range expansions .... and contractions?
Here are some declining species, not including ones listed as endangered or threatened.

1. Common Murre.  Total colony failure for years on the north and central coasts, and declining production on south coast from Bald Eagle predation and associated egg/chick loss.

2. Upland Sandpiper.  Always rare as a breeder, now apparently extirpated.

3. Snowy Egret.  Seems much less common as a breeder in SE Oregon than in 1970s.

4. Sage Grouse

5.  Yellow-billed Cuckoo

6.  Canyon Wren???  A feeling, but without much data.

7.  Hermit Warbler

Wayne Hoffman
South Beach

On 6/6/2018 5:44:26 PM, Joel Geier <joel.geier...> wrote:
For rapid breeding range expansions into Oregon by species native to
North America, if we measure this in terms of time to go from "rare" to
"ubiquitous," my vote goes to Barred Owl. During the past 20 years, this
species has gone from a "rare" bird that used to produce excited reports
on OBOL, to regular in virtually all Oregon habitats except sagebrush
steppe and alpine. It's now one of the more common road-kill species
along the highway that runs past our house (6 specimens in the past 3
years).

But what about species going in the other direction? Which native bird
species have gotten noticeably harder to find in that same period? I
have my ideas but I'm interested to hear yours.

--
Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of Corvallis

POST: Send your post to <obol...>