Date: 6/6/18 7:03 pm
From: <jmeredit...>
Subject: [obol] ECAS Wednesday, Woodpeckers and Gray Catbird
ECAS Wednesday spent today trying to relocate woodpeckers and a few
other birds from the weekend festival. See a separate post for details
on the GRAY CATBIRDs which are on private property.

First WP was a White-headed WP nesting amidst the crowds in the
campground at Sisters City Park. We went next to Calliope Crossing and
watched a couple of nest exchanges of the Red-breasted and ? Red-naped
Sapsuckers. Some people thought they did see a RN so it is on the list.
At Indian Ford we saw Downy WPs and near them, a nest with sapsuckers.
Again, some saw both species. At Camp Sherman at Lake Creek Lodge, the
Gray Catbird pair was quite visible and used various shrubs and perches
along the creek. BIG thanks to the owners for allowing us to view the
birds.

West of Cold Springs the Williamson's pair was active and we enjoyed
bonus White-headed and Townsend's Solitaire. Headed on up toward Milli
Burn and Whispering Pine where Lewis's Woodpeckers on the ridge were
flycatching and at the turn to Scott's Pass, the Black-backed Woodpecker
pair was very cooperative. A Hairy WP in the area was busy drumming and
Wayne followed it to find a nest site cavity in a big Ponderosa snag
nearby. The Sooty Grouse in the area did not materialize for us.
Although one person heard a Pileated while there, and another heard it
at Whispering Pines, most of us went without hearing or seeing it.
Despite a bit of waiting at some nests, we had a great day, in beautiful
central Oregon. Next week, Malheur, long day, early start, late return.
Thanks to Bob Sizoo for ebirding today.
This report was mailed for Judy Meredith by http://birdnotes.net
Mallard
Turkey Vulture
Osprey
Red-tailed Hawk
American Kestrel
Killdeer
Rock Dove
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Mourning Dove
Calliope Hummingbird
Lewis' Woodpecker
Williamson's Sapsucker
Red-naped Sapsucker ---some birders
Red-breasted Sapsucker
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
White-headed Woodpecker
Black-backed Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker - disappointing that most of us had nothing
Olive-sided Flycatcher
Western Wood-Pewee
Unidentified Empidonax
Cassin's Vireo
Gray Jay
Steller's Jay
Common Raven
Tree Swallow
Mountain Chickadee
Red-breasted Nuthatch
White-breasted Nuthatch
Pygmy Nuthatch
Brown Creeper
House Wren
Western Bluebird
Townsend's Solitaire
American Robin
GRAY CATBIRDS - private property, see separate report
Cedar Waxwing
Yellow Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Hermit Warbler - singing, HETO prevalent in the area......
Common Yellowthroat
Western Tanager
Green-tailed Towhee - only heard a couple of times by some.
Chipping Sparrow
Fox Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Black-headed Groscbeak
Lazuli Bunting
Brewer's Blackbird
Brown-headed Cowbird
Purple Finch - Calliope Crossing
Cassin's Finch - Calliope Crossing and maybe along 1018 and
elsewhere....
House Sparrow
Total number of species seen: 56

Birders today: Brian White, Karl Goodwin, Jean Tuomi, Vickie Buck,
Ginger Kafel, Peter Perry and Toni Morozumi, Kent Jacobs and Cyndy
Wicker, David Sowards-Emmard, Candace Cobb, Wayne Bowers, Joel Tinsley,
Lynda Paznokas, Sue Bertsch, Carolyn Rochelle, Clay Crofton, Steve Dyer,
Sherrie Pierce, Mark Neudorfer, Bob Sizoo, Judy Meredith. Next week is
a full day, a long day around Malheur NWR. Good birding, Judy,
<jmeredit...>
POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!