Date: 6/6/18 5:44 pm
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Subject: [obol] Breeding range expansions .... and contractions?
For rapid breeding range expansions into Oregon by species native to
North America, if we measure this in terms of time to go from "rare" to
"ubiquitous," my vote goes to Barred Owl. During the past 20 years, this
species has gone from a "rare" bird that used to produce excited reports
on OBOL, to regular in virtually all Oregon habitats except sagebrush
steppe and alpine. It's now one of the more common road-kill species
along the highway that runs past our house (6 specimens in the past 3
years).

But what about species going in the other direction? Which native bird
species have gotten noticeably harder to find in that same period? I
have my ideas but I'm interested to hear yours.

--
Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of Corvallis

POST: Send your post to <obol...>