Date: 6/6/18 2:10 pm
From: Andy Stepniewski <steppie...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Fw: Ovenbird at Snow Mountain Ranch in Yakima County-update
Hi Yakkers and Tweeters,

On 1 June, Ellen and I believe we heard an Ovenbird at Snow Mountain Ranch west of Yakima. Try as we might, we couldn’t get a clear view of the singer. Ryan Merrill helped us get Ellen’s recording of the bird onto eBird (converting the mp3 file on the phone to wav). The recording is on eBird checklist: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46216859. Ovenbird is a review species in Washington, so the Washington Rare Birds Committee will vote on the report this fall, according to Matt Bartels, Secretary of the WRBC. So, at this point, our report is just that, and not an accepted record.

By the way, we’ve come to really enjoy birding at Snow Mountain Ranch, a preserve of the Cowiche Canyon Conservancy: http://www.cowichecanyon.org/docs/brochure%20protect%20and%20enjoy.pdf. This website has links to trail maps for both the Cowiche Canyon unit (riparian, magnificent cliffs, and shrub-steppe), and Snow Mountain Ranch (beautiful riparian habitat, Garry oak groves, fields, and shrub-steppe). One can easily spend an entire day birding and hiking on Snow Mountain! Too, both preserves are known for their spring wildflower show, though this year much reduced, probably due to below normal precipitation over the past winter.

Andy and Ellen Stepniewski
Yakima WA
<steppie...>