Date: 6/6/18 11:37 am
From: Ida <idad...>
Subject: MS Kite nest
Judging from behavior, we have at least two MS Kite nests in our neighborhood, and I suspect three. I’ve been searching hard for 2 1/2 weeks to find one of them and finally did today. I continue to be amazed at how well-concealed the nests are. Those I’ve found previously have been but all but invisible except from one angle, and that angle is usually an awkward one from a human standpoint. The one found today had a bird sitting on the nest who watched me carefully but seemed calm, which is sensible, as she was about 30 feet off the ground in a thick, brushy area of woods that make even the tree itself fairly inaccessible from the ground. I’ll check back discreetly every few days in hopes of better photos. Sometimes persistence pays off, sometimes not.

Ida Domazlicky
Cape Girardeau County

ABA Birding Code of Ethics
http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html