Date: 6/6/18 11:08 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Deer Grove East Forest Preserve Wed 6-6-18
Hello Bird People,

Continuing my resident bird surveys today I went to Deer Grove East.
If you were bored by yesterday's survey at Paul Douglas you'll
probably be bored again as nothing special was seen.
But that's the nature of resident bird surveys as you get common
resident birds.
Read on if interested.

Deer Grove East (7:30-10:30 a.m.)

As I was leaving Carolyn F was arriving. Too bad she wasn't there
earlier as then I might have been able to find a Grasshopper Sparrow
as I can't hear them on my own. Ebird reports show they are here but I
failed to find one today. Ditto the Henslow's Sparrow although those I
can hear.

Great Blue Heron (1 & 1 fly-by)
Great Egret (1)
Green Heron (1 feeding & 4 fly-bys)
Canada Geese (1 family of 6)
Wood Duck (1)
Mallard (8-10 plus 1 female with 8 small young)
Cooper's Hawk (1)
RED HEADED WOODPECKER (3-4)
Red Bellied Woodpecker (4)
Downy Woodpecker (1)
Flicker (4)
Eastern Pewee (H-1)
Willow Flycatcher (2)
Eastern Kingbird (2)
Tree (10) & Barn (8) Swallows
Blue Jay (2)
W.B. Nuthatch (2)
House Wren (H-2)
Marsh Wren (Only sang once & not for very long)
EASTERN BLUEBIRD (2)
Robins (15)
Gray Catbird (1)
Starling (14-16)
Warbling Vireo (4-5)
Red Eyed Vireo (H-2)
Yellow Warbler (1, singing)
Common Yellowthroat (6-7)
Cardinal (1 & H-1)
Indigo Bunting (H-1)
Eastern Towhee (1-M, singing)
Field Sparrow (1)
Savannah Sparrow (2, singing)
Song Sparrow (8-10)
Red Wings, Grackles & Cowbirds (2)
Baltimore Oriole (3)
Goldfinch (8)

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Eastern Bluebird & Runner-Up to all the Red
Headed Woodpeckers.

Al Stokie
Local birding in Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>