Date: 6/5/18 9:10 pm
From: Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...>
Subject: [obol] Audubon Birding Weekend trip to Wallowa County
This past weekend I led an Audubon Birding Weekend trip to Wallowa County.
Thank you to Jim Norris for organizing the logistics.

Saturday we went out the Zumwalt Prairie to Buckhorn Springs lookout and
back.

Sunday we looked for Bobolinks around Enterprise then went down to Imnaha on
a hot day.

[A major gully-washer storm on May 27 (I think) brought torrents of debris
onto the Imnaha road from many side canyons, cutting off the village for a
day and stranding people. The road has been reopened, but we saw many sites
that were impacted. Some places the debris must have been 7' deep across
the road. Devil's Gulch, a canyon which is vegetated, did not produce so
big a mud and rock flow, but the footbridge is still out.]

We retreated to Wallowa Lake and found the temperature over 10 degrees
cooler.

Monday we went down along the Wallowa River and then over to two sites near
Elgin.

The 106 species we collectively saw were:

Canada Goose

Gadwall

Mallard

Blue-winged Teal

Cinnamon Teal

Northern Shoveler

Northern Pintail

Green-winged Teal

Redhead

Ring-necked Duck

Common Merganser

California Quail

Ring-necked Pheasant

Ruffed Grouse

Rock Pigeon

Mourning Dove

Eurasian Collared Dove

Common Nighthawk

Vaux's Swift

Anna's Hummingbird

Calliope Hummingbird

Rufous Hummingbird

Virginia Rail

Sora

American Coot

Killdeer

Long-billed Curlew - a surprise at a field between Lostine and Wallowa
approx. 45.538341,-117.486200

Wilson's Snipe

Spotted Sandpiper

California Gull

Great Blue Heron

Turkey Vulture

Osprey

Bald Eagle

Northern Harrier

Cooper's Hawk

Swainson's Hawk

Red-tailed Hawk

Ferruginous Hawk

Golden Eagle

Great Horned Owl

Great Gray Owl at Growiser https://www.growiser.net/

Short-eared Owl - Golf Course Rd

Belted Kingfisher

Lewis's Woodpecker

Red-naped Sapsucker

Downy Woodpecker

Northern Flicker

Pileated Woodpecker

American Kestrel

Western Wood-Pewee

Willow Flycatcher

Pacific-slope Flycatcher

Say's Phoebe

Western Kingbird

Eastern Kingbird

Cassin's Vireo

Warbling Vireo

Steller's Jay

Black-billed Magpie

American Crow

Common Raven

Horned Lark

Tree Swallow

Violet-green Swallow

Northern Rough-winged Swallow

Cliff Swallow

Barn Swallow

Mountain Chickadee

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Pygmy Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Rock Wren

House Wren

American Dipper

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Western Bluebird

Mountain Bluebird

VEERY - 2 at the Minam highway wayside at 45.627292,-117.676676

Hermit Thrush

American Robin

European Starling

Cedar Waxwing