Date: 6/5/18 8:14 pm
From: Jeff Bilsky <jbilsky...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Skokie Lagoons Forest Preserve--Willow Rd., Cook, Illinois, US
Have been trying to do a breeding bird review at Skokie Lagoons (willow
road area/ Erickson Woods) the past few days. I've confidently identified 3
unique male PROTHONOTARY WARBLERS. The previously found nest appears as if
it was completed but I am not convinced they are going to use it. Not sure
if they build more than one (wren style) and this is a prototype. I saw a
long-tailed weasel in the vicinity of it and it is less than 2 feet off the
ground - lots of perils and really not the ideal spot. The male was singing
across the river from this spot today and the female was not around for the
30 minutes or so I scoped the area. I actually think it would behoove them
to try a different spot. But we will see. Found two more males at other
locations in the woods - hopefully they have found mates.

I did locate a couple of singing male AMERICAN REDSTARTS and one female
acting like she had a nest in the area. Also, a pair of EASTERN BLUEBIRDS
that I hadn't seen in quite some time here - they were in the vicinity of a
probable cavity but didn't see them enter. I have also verified a probable
HAIRY WOODPECKER nest hole (both m & f went in), a couple of TREE SWALLOW
nest holes, and found an EASTERN PHOEBE on a nest as well. The GREAT HORNED
OWLS were pretty vocal this evening from across the water and I had a
fitz-pewing WILLOW FLYCATCHER in the marsh.

Some photos included in the list. Good birding.

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46335164

Skokie Lagoons Forest Preserve--Willow Rd., Cook, Illinois, US
Jun 5, 2018 5:51 PM - 8:08 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.63 mile(s)
37 species