Date: 6/5/18 8:09 pm
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: RFI: Native North American Breeding Range Expansion into Oregon
Here area few others to think about - not necessarily winners, but still interesting.

1.  Franklin's Gull.   Unknown in Oregon until found breeding at Malheur NWR in about 1940.  Wandering individuals became a bit more common throughout the state  but status otherwise unchanged through publication of BOGR (2003), but shortly thereafter colonized the Klamath Basin, with a colony sometimes on California side of state line, sometimes in Oregon.  During a recent drought year (2015?) I saw enough at Summer Lake to suspect breeding there.  I think they need an accumulation of a few hundred individuals to initiate a new breeding location, so their expansion looks very different than the others - more saltatorial.

2. Black-throated Sparrow.  Gabrielson and Jewett knew of 2 records, called it a "rare straggler." Sparse to rare in SE Oregon as of mid 1970s, occurrence seemed to be less than annual, and not confirmed breeding as of mid 1970s.  Now annual breeder, in multiple (10?) east-side counties.

3. Tricolored Blackbird.  Gabrielson and Jewett (1940)knew of specimens from Klamath Lake, and considered all other reports unsubstantiated and likely erroneous.  In mid-1970s still considered mainly Klamath,although I have a dim memory of a Medford area colony?  Currently breeds regularly in Klamath and Crook counties, and I believe in the Columbia basin, I think into SE Washington, and has bred in the Willamette Valley?  Like Franklin's Gull may need a substantial critical mass to breed.

Wayne
On 6/5/2018 6:30:29 PM, Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren...> wrote:
*

Mockingbird was first recorded in Oregon a long while ago, perhaps before the 50s, but not documented as a breeding bird before the 70s. It is not a regular breeding species anywhere in the state. It would probably be possible to enumerate all individuals reported in history, that is a few hundred , while Black Phoebes and Barred Owls probably number in the 10s of thousands. Compared to other species discussed on this thread Northern Mockingbird has staged a truly glacial colonization. I find this at least as intriguing as the accomplishments of the other colonists.

On Jun 5, 2018, at 6:12 PM, Sally Hill <1sallyhill.9...> [mailto:<1sallyhill.9...>]> wrote:

Maybe also No Mockingird.

Sally Hill

On Jun 5, 2018, at 5:42 PM, Alan Contreras <acontrer56...> [mailto:<acontrer56...>]> wrote:

The question of population volume is very different from the question of speed of expansion.  Kites expanded pretty quickly in the 1970s-80s but there are few of them, unlike Anna’s or Barred Owls.

Alan Contreras
<acontrer56...> [mailto:<acontrer56...>]
Eugene, Oregon

www.alanlcontreras.com [http://www.alanlcontreras.com/]

On Jun 5, 2018, at 5:40 PM, David Irons <llsdirons...> [mailto:<llsdirons...>]> wrote:

I think Anna’s Hummingbird has to be the winner here. They now tally hundreds on the Victoria, B.C. Christmas Bird Count and have for some time. If Barred Owl weren’t nocturnal and we could better appreciate their density it would likely be the runner-up. Both of these species far outpace Black Phoebe in terms if both geographic distribution and numbers in Oregon.

Dave Irons
Beaverton, OR

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 5, 2018, at 5:28 PM, Alan Contreras <acontrer56...> [mailto:<acontrer56...>]> wrote:

I think we’re only looking at native North American species that breed in Oregon now.

Alan Contreras
<acontrer56...> [mailto:<acontrer56...>]
Eugene, Oregon

www.alanlcontreras.com [http://www.alanlcontreras.com/]

On Jun 5, 2018, at 5:26 PM, Tom Crabtree <tc...> [mailto:<tc...>]> wrote:

I would add Lesser Goldfinch and Great-tailed Grackle.  Starling if you go back to the 50s.  Euro-trash Doves probably exceed everything but the latter.

Tom Crabtree, Bend