Date: 6/5/18 6:30 pm
From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: RFI: Native North American Breeding Range Expansion into Oregon
*

Mockingbird was first recorded in Oregon a long while ago, perhaps before the 50s, but not documented as a breeding bird before the 70s. It is not a regular breeding species anywhere in the state. It would probably be possible to enumerate all individuals reported in history, that is a few hundred , while Black Phoebes and Barred Owls probably number in the 10s of thousands. Compared to other species discussed on this thread Northern Mockingbird has staged a truly glacial colonization. I find this at least as intriguing as the accomplishments of the other colonists.
> On Jun 5, 2018, at 6:12 PM, Sally Hill <1sallyhill.9...> wrote:
>
> Maybe also No Mockingird.
>
> Sally Hill
>

> On Jun 5, 2018, at 5:42 PM, Alan Contreras <acontrer56...> <mailto:<acontrer56...>> wrote:
>
>> The question of population volume is very different from the question of speed of expansion. Kites expanded pretty quickly in the 1970s-80s but there are few of them, unlike Anna’s or Barred Owls.
>>

>> Alan Contreras
>> <acontrer56...> <mailto:<acontrer56...>
>> Eugene, Oregon
>>
>> www.alanlcontreras.com <http://www.alanlcontreras.com/>
>>

>>> On Jun 5, 2018, at 5:40 PM, David Irons <llsdirons...> <mailto:<llsdirons...>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I think Anna’s Hummingbird has to be the winner here. They now tally hundreds on the Victoria, B.C. Christmas Bird Count and have for some time. If Barred Owl weren’t nocturnal and we could better appreciate their density it would likely be the runner-up. Both of these species far outpace Black Phoebe in terms if both geographic distribution and numbers in Oregon.
>>>
>>> Dave Irons
>>> Beaverton, OR
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

Join us on Facebook!